This page provides additional information on the FIDE Elo rating. Please find here the names of the chess players who have hit or are currently hitting the highest FIDE Elo rating results, in history and current. There are the following 3 lists on the page:
1. Highest FIDE Ratings in History
2. Highest FIDE Ratings Current - Top 10 FIDE Players
3. Compare Ratings - Current Top 5 USCF Players
Highest FIDE Ratings in History
1. Carlsen, Magnus - Grandmaster Norway 2882 (in May 2014)
2. Kasparov, Garry - Grandmaster Russia 2849 (in July 2000)
3. Caruana, Fabiano - Grandmaster Italy 2844 (in October 2014)
• Note. In January 2013, at last, Grandmaster Magnus Carlsen beat the previous Garry Kasparov's FIDE world rating record (which was recorded in July 2000 at 2849, and stayed unbeaten for more than 12 years). In January 2013, Grandmaster Magnus Carlsen hit the rating 2861 to beat the Garry Kasparov's record.
Highest FIDE Ratings Current - Top 10 FIDE Players
• The below ratings were calculated as of 1 March 2018.
• They will not change until 1 April 2018.
1. Carlsen, Magnus - Grandmaster Norway 2843
2. Mamedyarov, Shakhriyar - Grandmaster Azerbaijan 2809
3. Kramnik, Vladimir - Grandmaster Russia 2800
4. So, Wesley - Grandmaster USA 2799
5. Aronian, Levon - Grandmaster Armenia 2794
6. Vachier-Lagrave, Maxime - Grandmaster France 2789
7. Nakamura, Hikaru - Grandmaster USA 2787
8. Caruana, Fabiano - Grandmaster USA 2784
9. Giri, Anish - Grandmaster Netherlands 2777
10. Anand, Viswanathan - Grandmaster India 2776
• Note. The FIDE Rating List is published monthly.
• Interesting. Current Top 100 FIDE Players Rating List (as of March 2018) starts from the rating 2843 and ends at 2652. The list includes the Grandmasters from the following 29 countries (federations): Norway - 1, Azerbaijan - 4, Russia - 24, USA - 6, Armenia - 4, France - 3, Netherlands - 2, India - 6, China - 9, Bulgaria - 2, Poland - 4, Czech Republic - 2, Vietnam - 1, Spain - 1, Hungary - 4, Ukraine - 8, England - 4, Egypt - 1, Israel - 4, Georgia - 1, Germany - 1, Uzbekistan - 1, Cuba - 1, Austria - 1, Turkey - 1, Slovenia - 1, Canada - 1, Peru - 1, Croatia - 1. In the list, there are 3 Grandmasters rated 2800 and above, and 42 Grandmasters rated 2700-2799.
Compare Ratings - Current Top 5 USCF Players
• The following Top 5 USCF Players are also rated in FIDE - compare.
1. USCF: Caruana, Fabiano - USA 2885 by the USCF rating system
FIDE: Caruana, Fabiano - Grandmaster 2784 by the FIDE rating system
2. USCF: So, Wesley - USA 2859 by the USCF rating system
FIDE: So, Wesley - Grandmaster 2799 by the FIDE rating system
3. USCF: Nakamura, Hikaru - USA 2855 by the USCF rating system
FIDE: Nakamura, Hikaru - Grandmaster 2787 by the FIDE rating system
4. USCF: Onischuk, Alexander - USA 2762 by the USCF rating system
FIDE: Onischuk, Alexander - Grandmaster 2681 by the FIDE rating system
5. USCF: Kamsky, Gata - USA 2756 by the USCF rating system
FIDE: Kamsky, Gata - Grandmaster 2677 by the FIDE rating system
On this website, you can also find the link to the current list of Top 100 FIDE Chess Players. To find it, visit chess links web directory, the Chess Rating Category. Link 1 is what you need to find the names of the top FIDE Grandmasters.
The 5 top-rated USCF chess players (see above) are also rated in FIDE. Compare their ratings in USCF and FIDE. This will approximately show you the difference in chess rating calculations between USCF and FIDE.
• Back to top Next - Chess FIDE ELO Links